In today’s podcast our friend Jonathan Mahoney asks Abbot George “What is Maya?” Abbot George’s answer covers various aspects of Maya:
- Maya as the hypnotic power of creation.
- It is mistaking the Unreal for the Real.
- It is caused by our instinctive reactions to sense perceptions.
- He explains the common simile of mistaking a rope for a snake.
He stresses that the Shakti of creation is real, it is our perception or understanding that is unreal. Maya, illusion, is in our minds. Abbot George shares a number of stories to illumine these ideas.
Further Reading and Listening about What is Maya?:
- Living the Yoga Life: Many Answers About Maya
- How You Can Break Through the Net of Maya
- Podcast: The Means of Getting Beyond Maya: Leading the Yoga Life