Articles on Soham Yoga
- Soham Yoga: An Introduction — A brief summary of what Soham Yoga is and how to practice it.
- Soham Yoga: The Yoga of the Self — An in-depth book on the rationale of Soham Yoga meditation, its practice, points for successful meditation, and much more.
- Also available in print and ebook formats at Amazon and other online sources.
And explore the following articles on Original Yoga:
- What is Yoga? — With all that is called “yoga” nowadays, it is hard to winnow the wheat from the chaff. In this article Abbot George clarifies what real yoga is both as a philosophy and as a liberating practice.
- How to Be a Yogi — This is not a book about the technique of Yoga, but about that without which the successful practice of yoga is impossible: the Yoga Life. Yoga is not just a practice or a philosophy; it is an entire way of life. Without this understanding and without commitment to the Yoga Life there is simply no need to give yoga a second thought. And by yoga I mean the quest for liberation of the spirit, for Yoga is an eternal science intended to reveal and manifest the Eternal. By Abbot George Burke (Swami Nirmalananda Giri)
- Dwelling in the Mirror: A Study of Illusions Produced by Delusive Meditation and How to Be Free from Them — from the introduction by Abbot George Burke:
“Over and over people have mistaken trivial and pathological conditions for enlightenment, written books, given seminars and gained a devoted following. Yet there are those who can have an experience and realize that it really cannot be real, but a vagary of their mind. Some may not understand that on their own, but can be shown by others the truth about it. For them and those that may one day be in danger of meditation-produced delusions I have written this brief study.” In Dwelling in the Mirror you will learn: • Different types of meditation and the experiences they produce, and the problems and delusions which can arise from them.
• How to get rid of negative initiation energies and mantras.
• What are authentic, positive meditation practices and their effects and aspects.
• An ancient, universal method of meditation which is both proven and effective.
- Foundations of Yoga — The basis of all Yoga practice are the “Ten Commandments of Yoga”–the principles of Yama and Niyama outlined by Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras. This booklet considers the various aspects of each principle as well as the spiritual power which is developed through each one. By Abbot George Burke (Swami Nirmalananda Giri)
- A Yogi and a Philosopher — This article is Akshay Kumar Bannrjea’s introduction to the Philosophy of Gorakhnath. It compares the viewpoint Yogi with the philosopher. A Philosopher advances in the path of rational logic, a Yogi advances in the path of moral and psychical self-discipline. Discover more by reading this fascinating analysis.
- Vegetarianism — The major thing to keep in mind when considering the subject of vegetarianism is its relevancy in relation to our explorations of consciousness. We need only ask: Does it facilitate my spiritual growth–the development and expansion of my consciousness? The answer is Yes. To discover more about the spiritual, mental, and physical/health aspects of vegetarianism, read the articles in this section.
- Twelve Pointers For Maintaining Brahmacharya — Brahmacharya (Continence; self-restraint on all levels; discipline; dwelling in Brahman) is essential for the aspiring yogi. These tips help in reaching this ideal. By Abbot George Burke.