The Yoga of the Self
by Abbot George Burke
(Swami Nirmalananda Giri)
Why Soham Yoga Meditation? Meditation is the process of centering our awareness in the principle of pure consciousness which is our essential being. In this way we will never lose sight of our real identity.
Normally we lose awareness of our true Self through consciousness of external objects. Since we are habituated–if not actually addicted–to objective consciousness, we can use that very condition to our advantage. Rather than disperse our consciousness through objects that draw us outward, away from the source of our being, we can take an object that will have the opposite effect, present it to the mind, and reverse our consciousness.
Such an object must have three qualities:
- it must be something whose nature it is to turn our awareness inward and draw it into the most subtle depths of our being,
- it must be something that can continue to be perceived even in those most subtle areas of our awareness,
- it must already be present in our inmost being awaiting our discovery of it. Therefore it must be an object that can both impel and draw us, accompanying our questing consciousness inward, not being transcended when the mind and senses are gone beyond, but revealing itself as the Self.
That object is the mantra Soham. By sitting with closed eyes and letting the mind become easefully absorbed in experiencing the inner mental repetitions of Soham we thereby directly enter into the state of consciousness that is Soham, the state of consciousness that is both Brahman the Absolute and our Self.
How Do I Learn to Meditate? The book Soham Yoga: The Yoga of the Self, by Abbot George Burke is presented here in chapters, where the reader can learn the theory and practice of this ancient and effective meditation method. We invite you to explore, study and practice what you will find here. You can also read it at SohamYogaMeditation.com.
Read Read this book online here, or download a free PDF of the entire text of the book. Soon we will have print and ebook versions available, in the late part of 2018.
Chapters in the Soham Yoga, the Yoga of the Self:
- Preface to Soham Yoga
- Chapter One in Soham Yoga: Yoga
- Chapter Two: The Practice of Soham Yoga Meditation
- Chapter Three: Soham According to the Scriptures and the Masters of Yoga
- Chapter Four: The Yogi’s Subtle Anatomy
- Chapter Five: Points For Successful Meditation and Its Purpose and Philosophy
- Chapter Six: The Foundations of Yoga
- Afterword: It Can Be Done
- Appendix One: Spiritual Wisdom of Sri Gajanana Maharaj
- Appendix two: Breath And Sound In Meditation
- Appendix Three: Jesus, a Nath Yogi
- Soham Yoga Meditation Glossary
Visit our e-library page for Free Downloads of this and other ebooks in various formats.